About Me

My photo
Retired Methodist pastor and journalist. I like collecting quotations. (If I have to move they are easy to pack!)

Friday, July 10, 2009

On the Bible as "literal truth" without error: "I, too, have at times struggled with the Bible as ``literal truth.'' However, I do believe it to be the inspired word of God from cover to cover. If life lessons can be learned from the story of Jonah or Noah or countless others, then I see them as valuable insights into what God expects of his people ...whether they be parables or historically accurate accounts. The official line the Church of God takes is that the entire Bible is the inspired word of God. Beyond that, you'll find a diversity of opinion. No, not everyone considers it 'literal' . . . The common link is a faith in Christ and a commitment to reflect and serve him in all things."
-- Ken Palen, Dayton, Ohio, January 1991. (Member: Church of God, Anderson, Ind.)

No comments:

Post a Comment